Thursday, June 24, 2010

Prisoner's Voice

Tonight's post is an afterword by Charles Akers. Friends and family known him as Pat.

Charles Patrick Akers
Red Onion State Prison
P. O. Box 1900
Pound, Virginia 24279-1900

Did you enjoy? If you're anything like me, you probably think it's a load of " in a perfect world," idealistic bullshit. Let's face it. The majority of Americans couldn't survive without laws for protection. Also, please let me point out that when I refer to one " ill deed," I'm not referring to crimes like murder, rape, pedophilia, nor other crimes that we find equally repugnant. I'm referring to the lesser crimes for which the offender suffers not only incarceration, but a lifetime of probation, parole, fines, discrimination, and stigmas.

I wrore this essay (for lack of a better word) to prove a point. I wrote it to point out just one aspect of the hypocrisy that we face daily in dealing with our "justice" system. This in no way of reflection of my religious beliefs. (I'm actually a bit more of an agnostic) but, as I said, this is just one aspect -the aspect the jumped out at me first.

I could go on for days, but,come on, you're not trying to hear all of that and, frankly, I'm not trying to write it all out. However if you would bear with me, I would like to drive one last point home; and that is: when you fall victim to the system, you're done. Life literally loses value -- case and point: any prisoner caught trying to hop defense would be shot. Dead!

Why?

The official reason given is to protect society. That is to say that the life of the average citizen outwieghs that of the prisoner. It doesn't matter if you're a murderer or petty thief. It doesn't matter if you've got 30 years or 30 minutes left.

So, how is it rational to believe that, as a prisoner, your life is worth less than the average citizen, but as soon as you walk to the magic gates of freedom, your life is instantly more valuable?

It doesn't make sense!

So, the point I'm trying to make at this is that no one life has more value, nor importance, than another. Regardless of history. Therefore, no one has the right to judge.

No one!
. . .

I have to say I'm proud of Pat. I'm almost jealous because I didn't write this myself. I've already told you all how close he and I are. I like him even more now. This, and yesterday's writing, proves how much a person can accomplish while in prison.

I just wish society would do more to force the policy makers to enable all prisoners to grow this much!

Alway's real;
Supaman Tion Terrell

No comments:

Post a Comment