Sunday, October 3, 2010

Reprioritizing

I've been doing a lot of thinking since last night. I reached a decision this morning to slow my life down a bit. I've had a string of unfortunate and weird experiences as of late, and I've concluded that I've been trying to do so much that I can't take the time to think anymore. I turned myself into a slave to my ambition.

I decided to change this by pulling back from my job at Domino's and focusing on my contracting business, the Coalition of Advocates for Prisoners, and the writing career that will finance the Coalition's start up and operations.

I was reminded recently that I'm a stronger and wiser man when I take the time to think deeply. I don't even remember the last time I've done that. I've allowed myself to be consumed by the games I've had to play in order to get along in environments where a man with a past like mine is not welcomed.

You see, despite the changes I've made as a person, and all that I've accomplished since my release from prison, I'm seen as a threat more often than I'm seen as an asset. The sad thing is people usually don't give me a chance before they decide to distrust and/or hate me. Those who don't want me around have proven their willingness to create problems for me by lying and stooping to even greater lows. The worst part is few people will listen to my side of the story because I'm an ex-con.

None of that matters now. I will avoid the situations that will leave me at the mercies of prejudice snakes for  while, but that doesn't mean I will stop working towards the goals I have shared with you. I will keep fighting because I have no other course of action before me I can live with.

There have been many times when I considered running away, giving up the fight I was born for, or hiding from the world. The only reason I haven't done so before now is because I'm a man of my word. I made commitments to pay debts and to fight hard to make the world a better place, and to fight to make the criminal justice system a productive one.

This means I will not only be working hard at keeping promises, but I will dedicate more time to them too.

Alway's real
Supaman Tion Terrell

1 comment:

  1. Looks like your back! Back to the man I know you should be, the "real" you Tion Terrell the writer. Welcome home my friend welcome home.

    ReplyDelete