Thursday, October 25, 2012

Sticks and Stones...: A View on the Bully Crisis

I was asked via Facebook to sign a petition. It was called "Arrest Cyber Bullies Responsible for Amanda Todd's Death." Apparently, Amanda Todd posted a YouTube video describing how horribly she was being relentlessly bullied and how the ordeal has put her in a deep depression. Then within a month she committed suicide.

At first, I thought, "Well, It's kinda heinous to bully someone to that point."

Then I thought," Suicide from being picked on?"

Then I got distracted by life and decided to come back to this later. So, here I am.

Between then and now however, I did click on the link that was displayed on my wall. It took m to a cite with details of how it all transpired and quotes from major media entities. The video was there as well. I didn't watch it though.

By the time I found the video I reached the conclusion that I wasn't going to sign it. My reasons:

1. an American's electronic signature won't hold any weight with Canadian police.
2. the bullies parents should be held accountable as well since they reared lowlifes who enjoy tormenting other human beings.
3.Amanda's parents are already suffering and I pray that they will find comfort. However, I question how well they parented their daughter since she turned out to be so helpless at the hands of bullies that it led to her taking her own life.

As far as I am concerned parenting is to blame for the bullying crisis and many others. How could anyone expect the police to handle bullies for us to. Seriously, I'm almost amused at how sad we are as a people.  Some of us don't  have enough self-esteem to be content unless we are abusing someone else. Or we are the becoming the victims who are left so alone and so powerless that we are driven to emotional meltdowns when we get pushed too far.

What happened to good old stand up for yourself. Go to your parents for help. Fight fire with fire. something, anything would've been better than what Amanda chose.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me." I've remembered that one since I was about 6 years old. I was also taught to defend myself and to stand up to anyone. Of course, my upbringing wasn't so great in other areas, but a bully was the least of my worries. Once they realize they have to fight you, they go seek weaker subjects.

Last week, while riding my bicycle, I passed at least six children in a two mile path who displayed physiological indications of psychotropic drug use. about half of the kids I saw were obese. Several of them showed varying degrees of social anxiety.  

Too many of us dope our kids up, feed them garbage, and allow the influences they choose to teach them whom they should be (i.e. famous personalities, undesirable friends, fictional characters, etc.)  Meanwhile we chase an individualized delusional version of the American Dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment