Monday, June 21, 2010

Education Changes in Illinois Prisons

On Tuesday, June 15th, "The Belleville News-Democrat" reported Illinois prisons are dropping computer related classes because too few ex-convicts are getting jobs in the field. A business management class was also eliminated. Corrections Department spokeswoman Sharyn Elman says the classes will be replaced, but the article doesn't provide details about what the replacement classes will be.



This interests me greatly. I'm an experienced businessman. I understand the logic behind this decision. However, I'm worried about the changeover time between now and the replacement classes' availability. How many inmates will be released from prison with no educations at all while the restructuring occurs?



During my unexpected vacation, I've had a little time to do some soul searching. Since I started this blog, I've grown a lot. I've been exposed to many honorable causes and a few that I consider frivolous. I've joined some causes to help as much as I can. Some I probably shouldn't have because I don't have the time to support them as much as they need me to. During my soul searching, I had to ask myself, "Am I really making a difference?"



My goal is to inform society and to learn how we can bring about social changes in America that will insure a better free society for our children. There are many ways to approach this goal. I feel it would be best for me to stick to what I know. That's still hard because I spent the greater part of ten years learning a lot.



America's criminal justice system is pathetic. It actually fits the UN definition of genicide. I believe I'm very qualified to educate the public about this because of my experience and emotional maturity which allows me to objectively analyze and describe prison related issues. However, the criminal justice system is more a product of social disease than a cause.



I've written a great deal about some of the causes of social problems in this blog. Not all of my assertions have been received favorably. That's to be expected however. After all I'm dealing with human beings like myself.



The article mentioned above reminds me that the citizens of this country must make sure they are more involved in penal legislation. What if it takes years to replace teachers and purchase new materials to start the classes that will replace computer and business courses? What if the replacement classes are irrelevent to todays job market?



Most importantly, what if one of those prisoners who slips through the cracks and receives no education becomes your neighbor after release. What if you or a loved one were the victim of the desperate person's crime because they are left with no alternative by which to survive.



Always real;



Supaman Tion Terrell

No comments:

Post a Comment