Thursday, July 1, 2010

Humpday Entertainment Presents: Tynisha Wilkinson

Today, I'm proud to present some poetry from Tynisha Wilkinson a 17 year old young woman from East St. Louis IL.



There's No Other Like Her

She has a love for me that is inevitable.
She heeds to what I have to say even if I am a little chatty.
She was the only one who didn't abandon me in my time of need.
There's No Other Like Her.

She never condemned me no matter what I did, right or wrong.
She never tried to harm me in any way or compelled me against my will to something.
She always congratulated me and never once despised me.
There's No Other Like Her

She always told me the truth, She has never once lied to me.
She is an astonishing, considerate and a submissive young lady.
She is me.
And There Is No Other Like Her!!!!!
. . .

Where I Come From

Where I come from you have good and you also have bad. Where I come from you see moms working hard to pay bills and work harder for the needs of their children.
Where I come from you see moms running the streets and forget they even have children.

Where I come from you see dads who work hard to fulfill there daily duties. Where I come from you have dads who run the streets not taking or forgetting who they children are.

See Where I come from you have children who want to make something of their lives and give back to their community. Where I come from you have, children who run the streets throwing their lives away and destroying their community.

Where I come from you have grandparents who take care of the needs of their grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Where I come from you have those grandparents who run the streets like immature adults.

Where I come from it is no different from where you are. Where I come from you have the lawyers, singers, doctors, athletes and other professions. Where I come from you you also have drug addicts,drug dealers, prostitute and street runners.

Where I come from is a place called East St. Louis. Where you come from is no different.
. . .

I Have

I have given
my life for you
to be free.
I have lost
my friends and family
for you to
have an opportunity.
I Have!

I have earned
the respect of being
a black King/Queen.
I have told them
that you will
carry on our legacy.
I Have!

So when I hear you say the word that is ignorant to me. The word I thought would be erased from African-American History. The word I refuse to be called, but you constantly say. The word Nigga. Please this isn't you this isn't me, so lets erase this word from African-American History.

I have given
my life for you
to be free.
I have lost
my friends and family
for you to
have an opportunity.
I Have!

I have worked
my fingers to the bone
in the cotton field.
I have been beaten.
I have been lynched.
I have prayed, "God Please
Help Me!!!!!"
I Have!

So when I see you fight each other and not think twice. When I see the things of these communities, communities of liars, thieves, drug dealers and gang members. I see you have forgotten our History!!!!

I have given
my life for you
to be free.
I have lost
my friends and family
for you to
have an opportunity.
I Have!

I have walked
the Million Man March.
I have crossed
the underground railroad.
I had to sit in the back
of the bus.
I Have!

I have given
my life for you
to be free.
I have lost
my friends and family
for you to
have an opportunity.
I Have!

So let's carry
on our legacy
Let's become
Kings/Queens.
Because I have
given my life for
you to be free.
Because I have
lost my friends
and family for
you to have an
opportunity.
I Have!

Sincerely,
Those who have died to change our History!!!!


. . .

2 comments:

  1. This was riveting, and even more so in person. Tynisha is a true poet beyond her years. Thank you for sharing her body of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow these poems are beautiful. I can't believe this young this wonderful

    ReplyDelete