Friday, December 24, 2010

Philosophy Friday Art. 2: Christmas Spirit

I've been depressed all day. Since I've been home from prison, I've worked very hard. Yet, I haven't accomplished all the goals I set for this year. I have personal debt due to several unexpected visits to emergency rooms. And, it seems whenever I make business plans with other parties I get screwed a little.

So, I spent the first part of the day wallowing in self-pity. I received my copies of the Think Outside The Cell Series today, and reading my name in print for the first time didn't even cheer me up.

Then I decided to go to the store to buy some rum. Bacardi of course. So I walked through the snow storm writing poetry in my head. Angry poetry about the hell my life has been.

As I approached the entrance, I met a woman begging for money to get a coat for her husband who doesn't own a winter coat. I told her to find a pen to write down my number so that I could refer them to my church.

After she took my number, they gave me a ride home. Now I'm looking over this laptop's screen at them while I write this, sip my rum and coke, and we all wait for dinner. They will be spending the night too.

I asked the woman how many people ignored her plea for money. She said most people did.

That is a testament of the populaces giving spirit!

I'm proud to say these people would be here whether today was Christmas Eve or not.

Christmas Spirit is supposed to be the attitude of human beings all year.

No comments:

Post a Comment