Friday, May 7, 2010

Loving Mom

I've written about my childhood. I addressed the horrors I suffered as a small child. I think I even discussed my mother. Tonight I will go into greater detail.

When I was born, my mother left me with her parents. She wanted to establish her independence before taking responsibility for me. She came to get me when I was about two, but my grandparents emotionally blackmailed her into leaving me with them.

I was told that she gave me up at birth and that she never wanted me. She confirmed the lie by always treating my little sister as if she was the only child she loved. Once, she asked me to take off my shirt. I did it. She blew my sister's nose with it, and gave it back. Then, when I was twelve, I spent Christmas with her. My sister got a room full of gifts, but I didn't even get a "Merry Christmas."

When I was old enough to work, mom used my sister as an excuse to con money out of me. I moved in with mom at age 18. I caught her and my sister plotting to manipulate me out of money. During this time I was working and selling crack cocaine. Mom and I smoked crack together often. When we weren't getting high together, we argued.

I moved out of mom's house after getting shot. Two people whom I thought were friends tried to rob me. I beat them up pretty badly. Then, one of them grabbed a gun out of the belt of a person who tried to break up the fight. He shot me in the back as I ran home.

My purpose in running home was to get my gun. I learned, however, that mom had sold me gun earlier that day to get high. Then she smoked all my drugs and spent all my money while I was in the hospital overnight. She even maintained a friendship with the people who tried to kill me.

But you know what, I love my mom.

Without her, I wouldn't be here. Obviously all that life has given me has been for a reason. I love the man I am, despite my imperfections. I couldn't be who I am without my past. I love my mom because she gave birth to Supaman. Nothing she has done or could ever do will change the fact that she carried me in her womb for 9 months and then suffered labor so that I could experience life.

It doesn't matter that my life has been a living hell!

I want all of you to think about the gift you were given that we call life. With Mother's Day coming up, it's important that you show some appreciation for the woman who made life possible for you.

She may not be perfect, but neither are you. None of us is capable of doing everything right--even when that is our sincere intent.

I never had someone I could look at as a mother, but I know I'd be less of a man if it weren't for the women who tried to love me. Most of them did this even when I didn't deserve it.

It really doesn't matter how many times your mother has let you down. You let yourself down don't you?

We only get one life on this Earth. That life is made possible through a mother. So please, try to be kind to your mothers. You don't have to wait for Mother's Day to do it. You shouldn't stop doing it after Mother's Day.

Your mother is your mother from the time you are born and until one of you dies. She should be appreciated during that time, and even afterwards if you happen to survive her.

Always real;
Supaman Tion Terrell

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, but I respectfully offer a correction: You mom is your mom even AFTER one of you dies. I lost my mom just a little over 2 months ago, and not a day goes by that I don't want to call her and say, "Mom? Guess what?" She will always be my mom. She wasn't perfect, and we had some rough times when I was young -- were even estranged for a bit -- but we came back together when I finally grew up and got my head together. I held her hand when she took her last breath, and I was the one to close her eyes when her soul had moved on. She made me who I am -- the good and the bad. I love her and miss her so much.

    Thanks for the lovely post, Tion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother, you gave my life
    but you intangled all that is death.
    Mother I look for you through prism glass.
    Your shine has a jaded past.
    May you only love what benefits you.
    I call your name, no one answers.
    Feel my wounds, from the shots fired.
    Perhaps you didn't take this course.
    Just your actions please have remorse.
    "Dollar General" :)

    ReplyDelete